Thursday, January 15, 2009

Another trip to Urgent Care


I'm trying to be a good mom...a good example...but sometimes things just don't work out like you/I plan. I went to clean the kitchen at church a few days ago and had 3 kids with me. (Not that that's anything new!) I opened the curtain between the kitchen and the rs room so that the kids could play in there and I could 'keep an eye on them'. Well, I don't ever recommend letting your 5 and 3 year olds watch a 1 yr old! They dumped out the diaper bag full of toys and goodies...and Sadie found all the little wrappers and garbage. You know, all the shiny fruit snacks wrappers and granola bar wrappers...Calvin and Hallie opened some string cheese for her to eat with her wrappers. (Is anyone beginning to panick?) So, I was done cleaning the kitchen and went into the rs room to begin to pick up when I saw Sadie with fist-fulls of 'goodies'. I started taking things away from her when she started to protest and then choke! I managed to get all the cheese out of her mouth and hands just in time to see the shiney wrapper in the back of her throat. At this point, mid screaming and choking and spitting up, I'm trying to do the finger swab to get the wrapper. I'll tell you, that does not work!! She kept choking and having moments of no breathing...I felt completely helpless. Finally, she stopped coughing and could breath well enough. I layed her down to try and look in her throat again and I couldn't see anything!
It was then that I determined that she needed to go to urgent care. But, of course, it was time for afternoon kindergarten for Calvin. I rushed home to retrieve the backpack and drove him to the school.
In the end, the doctor was very nice and reassuring. He said that her breathing/lungs sounded very good. That she didn't seem to be in any pain or discomfort...that he couldn't see anything in her throat. So.........he told me to watch for possible breathing changes and any fever (which might mean it has lodged somewhere and is now causing an infection). Do you think I slept much that night?
Thankfully, Sadie seems just fine. I suspect she will 'pass' whatever it was soon. I need to be more careful about what all my kids have access to, I guess. I'm so grateful to still have our Sadie with us!!!
This is my life:)

1 comment:

Dot said...

Oh my...ok, I felt my stress level jump up just reading about Sadie! I'm relieved to hear she's ok. Life is full of adventure when you are a mother, that is for sure! Never a dull moment...and those who say they're bored?! I just don't understand. So...just remember to breathe deeply...often! :) Love you, Amy! You're doing good things! Keep on keepin' on!